Friday, May 2, 2014

S&M Barbie

I came across an interesting article on Jezebel recently and I was shocked to see the toy that they were criticizing. Shocked about the toy itself, not about them criticizing it! It is a shining example of the sort of messages that children are given about gender roles from a very early age. This sexist toy is recommended for children ages 4+.


Are you kidding me? I wanted to shout at my computer screen. Now, I like a little Princess Leia, I really do. I think she played an important role in Star Wars but selling children a toy that basically looks like S&M Barbie is just crazy. Is this how we want young girls to role play? Or worse, this how we want little boys to think they should view women? It is absolutely gross! The list of objectifications goes on, and on, and on.

I did a little more research on how people were reacting to this toy (by people I mean people other the Sci-Fy dudes that have always had a hankering for Leia in any form of dress). I found some interesting responses. In a recent Huffington Post article, Amanda Kloerne (human trafficking writer) wrote: "It seems to be that most people can make a clear distinction; women being forced into prostitution as slaves is not sexy: Princess Leia as a slave in a gold bikini is." My thoughts exactly Amanda! 

I for one am admittedly the biggest of the Star Wars buffs, but I have seen the film. I just cannot believe that any parent would purchase this toy for a child anywhere near the recommended age group. 

Again I must say….Gross!

Do you all agree? If so please drop a comment in below. 

Until next time, 

Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment