Thursday, February 20, 2014

Thankful Thursday




On my mission to be a better and more thoughtful parent, it occurs to me that I need to spend more time being thankful for the amazing things in our world. It could be as simple as being able to sleep in in the morning until you actually wake up on your own, without an alarm, without a kiddo demanding your attention, without a rushed and hectic schedule to attend to. It can be for a great cup of coffee or a long conversation with a good friend.

I think that we can encourage our children to have an attitude of gratitude by letting them hear us show our appreciation for the little joys all around us. This is a series that I will be continuing to post about once a week and I would love for you to join me in being more aware of the great yet simple moments that bring pleasure to all of our lives.

Today I am thankful for a good cup of coffee and a rainy grey early spring morning. I am going out on a limb by calling it "spring," but after the waist high piles of snow that have blanketed the world around me for the last 3 months, the sound of drizzle is a welcome sign of things to come. My son was at his dad's house last night, so I got to just lay in bed with my cup of coffee and a computer and listen to the sound of the world being washed clean.

I know we will get more snow. I also know that this rain means I will be sloshing and slopping around campus this afternoon.  But, right now, at the moment I am writing this I am warm and rested and inspired.

I am reminded, as I write this post, about a book I read a few years ago (and have given as a gift several times), called The Book of Awesome. This book is a collection of awesome and free things, moments, occasions, smells and sounds that surround us during our life time. There was a short writing on the sound of rain from inside of a tend that I think you guys would enjoy reading as much as I did, check it out. 

I hope you all enjoy today and find something to be thankful for, be it big or small. If you have one of those moments today, please take the time to share it with me. Next time you are having trouble remembering what all those little things are in life, pick up this book and be reminded.

-Jenni









No comments:

Post a Comment