Thursday, March 6, 2014

Thankful Thursday: Big Days!





Ok, you might think I am crazy, but this morning I woke up thankful for deadlines. As nutty as this sounds, I am. I am thankful for due dates, deadlines and those moments where things get "done."

For me, it seems like a due date is always assigned so far in the future, like I just have so much time to get a task done. Then life happens, I don't work ahead like I say I am going to and I end up scrambling to get it done in the allotted time (again). We are all human. We all have intentions of being better at time management "this time." It's just that "this time" slides into its place, with everything else that we have to accomplish and bit by little bit, we don't stay on top of things.

But guess what….then its DONE.



The moment things are finished, turned in, or when it is the big day for the thing I have been preparing for, I just start to feel a calmness. It seems we always have so many things on the TO DO list that I love the moment that I get to mentally "check" something off.

I am thinking this way because today is one of those big days for me. For weeks I have been helping to organize an event that will take place tonight. I have spent endless hours running errands, on the phone, typing e-mails, begging for donations and making checklists for the Michiana Monologues (an awesome student run organization that raises money for women and children in our community) and it will be DONE tonight.

Michiana Monologues 2014


It always feels so good to commit to something extra, outside of my normal chaotic schedule, but then the extra work just has a way of making life extra sticky. Tonight, after the lights go down and the curtain is closed, this can be crossed off of my list. It will not be something that I am looking forward to anymore; it will be something that I have completed.

When I lay down to sleep tonight, I will have extra space in my mind. Space that will not be filled to the brim with little details and things to be remembered. I will not get out of bed three times to jot something on my list for the following day. I will be filled with a contentment that I accomplished something and that I don't have to juggle that task any longer.

I hope that you look at deadlines and due dates a little bit differently today. I hope that we all get better at time management and working ahead. And mostly, I hope that you have the chance, soon, to check something off of your mental to do list and give your mind a high-five.

Let me know what you think by commenting below. Do you love the deadline as I do? Do you have any super-fantastic tips for actually staying on top of things? I am interested to hear if I am the only one who feels this way about commitments and obligations. I also added a follow by email link on the right side column. I am a busy and sporadic blogger, so this would be a great way for you to be updated about any added posts!

Until we meet again,

Jenni


1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with this post! I often find myself stressing when something is not finished. I do not feel complete until my checklist is completely marked off. Dealines truly push me to work harder and accomplish what I've started. Very thoughtful post can't wait to read the more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete